Monday, July 15, 2013

Dirty laundry, the skinny on ...our... My laundry routine.

Probably the biggest concert that comes with cloth diapering is the laundry factor. I do not enjoy doing laundry, we always have a constant pile of cloth to fold on our couch. But my diapers are not included in this. So here is how my laundry cycle works.

First I change N from his nighttime diaper. Because of my small stash I have so far been washing every day. I have enough for almost two days now. So after changing I take the night time diaper and throw it in the washer. I add the previous days diapers and the wet bag to the wash. 
                                              
                                                    This is a load of about 12-16 diapers


I run a cold water rinse.

After the rinse is complete I add about 3/4 tablespoon honest laundry detergent.

                                                 





 I run a heavy load wash, with an extra rinse. 
        
I do a hot wash with  two cold rinses. We have a front load HE  washer. If younhave a standard washer you will want to use more detergent. A good start is half of the recommended amount.

I dry on tumble dry low. So far no issues

I pull the covers out after one drying cycle. I also remove any inserts that are dry, and continue to dry the rest on medium heat.

When all the diapers are done I sit next to N on the floor, sometimes he sits on my lap some times he lays on the floor cuddling and hugging the diapers he can reach. It takes me about five minuets to stuff my diapers.

The laundry does not take that long at all. Most of the time you are just waiting, so other things can be done in the mean time. If I can do cloth diaper anyone can. I work full time on nights, and watch my kids when my husband works during the day. I am also waking up every few hours to nurse N. 

Cloth diapers are so much better for the environment. If you do a little research you will find that it takes 400 or more years for a disposable to decompose! Even the bit of extra water used to wash is no where near the impact as a couple years worth of diapers rotting away. Modern diapers have made it so easy so why not add one extra load of laundry... Maybe two if you have a bigger stash....it's laundry you do laundry anyways .......


No comments:

Post a Comment