Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Mysterious little bump.

About two weeks ago I developed a sore nipple. " what nipple pain after 4 solid months of easy nursing? That was crazy to me. So i began to do research as to what was going on. After all my research I figured it must be caused by having had a bad latch. I am pretty sure it happened while dozing off while nursing in bed. I developed a small red bump on my nipple.  Through the two weeks the pin has gotten better. It also has gone threw several phases. At first it was a little whitish bump, but turned red after not nursing for awhile. It then almost looked like a scraped knee, with little red spots on the greater red area. Now it is just a red bump. The pain is pretty much gone and only bothers me now and then at the initial latch. 

I thought it might be several things. Mastitis, or a milk blister. However it just did not have the same characteristics as either and it has got better on its own with little treatment. Basically I have just let any milk dribble dry on it, instead of wiping it off. And i have let it air as much as possible. 

Milk blisters are skin grown over milk. Kinda of like a clogged duct but milk is stuck in a pore. This did not seem to be what i had as the sore was not hard like a blister, it did not seem "swollen" and the skin was not thicker. This seems to me what i would make to be a blister, based on my own experiences. Also i had no pain prior, neither with nursing or pumping. It just suddenly struck.

Mastitis is very serious but most of the information I looked at seemed to case it in the breast not usually the nipple. Although there is usually associated nipple pain. 

Had the issue continued to bother me I would have contacted a consultant for help. But for the most part I think us mommies can do a pretty good job of knowing what is wrong with our bodies. Just follow your instincts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment